Try saying that 5 times fast ;)
Oatmeal – one of my favorite whole grains.
Not only is it extremely versatile (you can make them sweet, savory, grind ‘em up into flour, etc) but they are also filling! Every time I have oats, I always walk away feeling satisfied. Aside from the delicious taste, oatmeal is also a nutrition powerhouse:
- Reduce the risk of Type 2 Diabetes
- Improve insulin sensitivity
- Control blood pressure
- Lower bad cholesterol (LDL)
- Increase appetite control
No wonder oatmeal was rated #1 for breakfast food satiety :) (source) When I counsel clients, I always ask if they eat oatmeal. If they don’t, I tell them the hundreds of ways to dress it up so it is tasty for them! The banana mashed in usually does the trick.
If you have been reading my blog for a while, you might remember I was on an extreme overnight oatmeal kick this past summer. Well I think it is safe to say this breakfast combo is here to stay!
Raspberry Chocolate Coconut Overnight Oatmeal
Serving: 1 person
- 1/2 cup raw oatmeal
- 1 container of Dannon Raspberry Chocolate Light & Fit Greek Yogurt
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 banana
- 1 T Chocolate Coconut Barney Butter
- Combine oatmeal & chia seeds into bowl and mix until combined
- Stir in greek yogurt
- Top with banana & almond butter
You can add milk if you like thinner over night oats – I love thick oats because it has a cake-like consistency.
In more exciting news: next Sunday my life will be figured out. Heres to hoping all my last four years as an undergrad paid off. Details to come :)